For Church Officers

Guidance to EMBA Churches on payment of fees / expenses to Regional Ministers

We are often asked the question by churches as to how they should cover the costs when a Regional Minister comes to visit their church either to preach or be involved in some other meeting/training event.  In response to this we have produced some guidance which we hope is helpful click here


REGISTERING AS A CHARITY – Getting ready for 2021

Baptist churches which have an income of less than £100,000 a year do not currently need to register with the Charity Commission (unless the church chooses to register as a charitable incorporated organisation for which there is no lower income threshold).
In 2021 the legislation will be changing and as it currently stands every Baptist church with an income of over £5,000 a year will need to register with the Commission at that time.

Anthony Collin have produced a document to help you prepare for 2021 here



If you’re looking for information on any of the issues below, please visit the BUGB website here

    • Charity status
    • Employment
    • Financial Guidance
    • General guidelines
    • Insurance
    • Legal
    • Ministerial appointments.
    • Property
    • Data Protection & GDPR

For those who hold an office in the church, there’s help here

For those take a lead, there’s help here

There’s plenty of help available on our website, and on the Baptist Union website. If you can’t find what you need though, please contact a member of the Regional Team, and they’ll do their best to signpost you to what you need.



Payroll Services for Church
One of the major responsibilities of a church treasurer is the payment of salaries, settlement of tax, NI and pensions and the annual returns to HMRC.
If this could be done externally, at a modest cost, this would make the treasurer’s role easier and less onerous for anyone new to the role. Our partner association HEBA Heart of England Baptist Association offer a payroll service for churches in the EMBA and costs and contact details can be found below.
Payroll Booklet 2015

There are useful leaflets on the BU website you might like to look at if you are new to your post,

Information for Church Treasurers from the Association of Church Accountants and Treasurers (ACAT) can be found on their

Giving to EMBA
Do you want to give a gift to the EMBA or to Home Mission?

  • Cheques for the EMBA need to be made payable to the ‘East Midland Baptist Association’ and can be sent to the office with a letter explaining what the payment is for.
  • Cheques for Home Mission need to be made payable to ‘EMBA Home Mission’ and can also be sent to the EMBA office to be forwarded to Andrea Wilson.



What makes a good website?
Don’t be daunted by the task. There’s loads of help out there. For information to consider, have a look here.

Writing a Press Release? 
Here’s some guidance on how to get good news into your local paper.
Top Tips for Writing a Press Release

Action Fraud is the organisation that you need to contact if your church has been scammed, for more details click below:
Action Fraud information